Thursday, 21 January 2016

Writing a good Story Part IV- Style and Language

Hello everyone,

Today, I will be writing the fourth part in my series ‘How to write a good story’. Today’s topic is ‘Style and language’.

On the first one. Style is not something that can be taught, or beaten into you. You have to develop that yourself. That is the magic of writing, so there is not really anything to say about that, but I just thought I better mention it. If you want a particular style, you have more hope of developing it by reading an author of a similar style. This also has to do with Part two, genre.

Language is the next topic. I have wanted to write about this for a long time, so here it goes.

When writing, you need to include descriptive language. It is no use just writing a story. While that is good, it does not take your writing to another level, the level of sophistication and complexion. I have found this while writing my own book, which I mentioned previously. I read over my work, and find that all there is, is a story line, no descriptive elements, and so I have had to add major elements to sections of my book.

DESCRIBE YOUR SETTINGS!  When I write, I get lost in my writing, and forget about all the sophistication I am meant to be adding. Things like similes and metaphors are all too easy to add, but all too easy to forget. These just add complexion to your work.

That’s all for today.

Have a good one!


Richard Mills.