Sunday, 17 January 2016

Writing a good story part II- Genre

 When writing a good story, make sure to clearly let your readers know what the genre of your story is. Whether it be Science fiction- set in the future, Historical Fiction- a story based on a true event, Fantasy- often set in another world including adventure and magic/magical beasts. There are many other genres you could choose from. Once you have this clear, you can read some books of the same genre. This often helps me when writing. When I write the book that I mentioned in Part I, I had to read some books on contemporary. I will focus on this later. Anyhow, reading some books of your chosen genre can give you some influence in the matter. This will make your writing easier, and make it better, the most important thing.


It is important that you tick with this genre. You cannot go from Fantasy to Science Fiction. This move will confuse your readers, and will most likely make them cease to read your piece. This is not what you want so STICK TO YOUR GENRE!

Now, back to my story. I am writing a contemporary fiction book. The most common place in the world for the setting of my story (a boy at a university) is in America. Americans love to read these types of books, and this proves their good taste in books. This also means that most of the contemporary writers are based in America. Writers like John Green, Rainbow Rowell etc. This is what I am into at the moment (I am 13) and so it was only natural to write in this genre, however, if your reading style swings during the course of the writing of your story. This means that every time you go to write your story again- and this can be in large gaps as writing can be pushed out of your mind while you get busy- you have to pick up a book of the genre you are using, and read it. This not only gives you pleasure, but also gets you in the swing of things to continue your story.

What I have talked about is not so important for small pieces, as these are finished very quickly, and so there is not much ‘stop-starting’ when you are writing, if there is any.

So, if you take anything from this, then let it be these

1.     Stick to your genre
2.     Read your genre before you start and
3.     Try not to stop-start



Richard Mills